Saturday, February 4, 2012

Experiencing Bias

I do know how it feels to be in an unfamiliar culture with people speaking an unfamiliar language. My husband is originally from Serbia. For this reason, we go to Serbian church, Serbian stores and Serbian restaurants. I, however, do not speak Serbian, and still, after many years, feel unfamiliar and uncomfortable with the Serbian culture. whenever I am with Serbian people, I feel very awkward and shy. I also feel very stupid and childish because I have a difficult time following conversations and understanding what is happening around me. I have my husband to translate and explain for me, and people are always kind and understanding, but the translation and smiles from people often leave me feeling more incompetent, and wishing nobody were paying attention to me. These situations do not last long for me, and I am able to leave these specific places and immediately return to the world I am accustomed to, but this has made me more sensitive to immigrant families who only have their homes and possibly a small community in which to feel comfortable, confident, and able to be themselves.

So, I already know what it is to feel awkward in different cultural situations. The assignment, though is to consider how it would be to be on the tail end of bias situations. I imagine that it would be so hurtful and damaging to my self esteem if I not only were left feeling uncomfortable but were treated with bias as well. Bias is hateful treatment of a person due to differences from self. If I were to go to a pace where I not only felt uncomfortable and awkward but was treated in negative ways due to others perceptions of me, it would be extremely difficult to even attempt to risk communicating or even drawing attention to myself due to fear of poor treatment. I would not want to return to that place, and if I had to return, I would keep myself to myself. I cannot imagine I would be able to do a good job or be at all productive within this type of environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment